Recent videos on Joost available in United States

Joost

Friday, January 26, 2007

Jooster Content Programmer - Michael Bohnstedt


Thank you to Michael Bohnstedt for the first entry to our Jooster content programmer competition. If you agree with Michael´s content choices leave a positive comment for him on this post, we will be announcing the winners and giving out the 6 Beta tokens at the end of the month. If you would like to enter the competition click here.

Michael Bohnstedt:

I began surfing the “web” back when a 9600 modem was really cool and it doesn’t even feel like that many years ago, and here we are in 2007 and it definitely looks like Web TV is finally, taking the first step that I would dare call “One small step for Joost, but a giant leap for us Watchers”.

Sure, there are many Video on Demand sites out there, but honestly the quality might be acceptable for the adult genre but I don’t believe it will, in a big way, bring the Web TV to everybody’s living room.

It is important to note that all the seasoned brands in ADSL modems and the like, are right now pushing their respective “PC to your big Plasma/LCD screen gadgets” to the markets. The reason is obvious, the sales of big screen TV’s are ever increasing month by month and with prices going the opposite way, this trend will continue.

With this development in mind I have no doubt that, just like myself, a significant number of web users, will be ever more interested in a quality (content and picture) of Web TV which make it acceptable/endurable to watch on your big screen TV on par with channels distributed via Satellite or cable.

Sure, not everybody owns a PC, which made me wonder about Web TV and the just launched PS3. Living in Europe I don’t own a PS3 yet but have read reviews and articles enough, to convince me that with the built in browser, hard disk and more of a PC architecture that a gaming device, it would be conceivable that a PS3 version of Joost could be done. The PS3’s excellent output options and quality would make it the perfect conveyor of high quality Web TV to the big screen anywhere.

Travel, I do a lot of traveling and therefore also spent many late hours in hotels, and I am more often than not very disappointed with the selection and quality of the channels offered. But it is becoming more and more normal that hotels offer free high-speed wireless connection. With a free high-speed wireless connection, my laptop and Joost, many boring nights will now turn into me having to make up my mind which one of my favorite programs I want to watch… I can’t wait!

But, in the end the only way to ensure the success of Joost in my humble opinion, is all about 3 things, and I wouldn’t prioritize one above the other, they have to complement each other:
• Content
• Quality
• Ease of use

The perfect balance between the above will create the “stickiness” that all websites crave for.

Below are the categories/channels with my comments/thoughts I believe would help secure a large and relatively loyal crowd:
Sport, you can never go wrong with sport channels. You will always secure a huge audience in this genre and who would not love to be able to watch your favourite game whenever you feel like or can fit it into your daily schedule.
• Golf
• NFL
• NBA
• NHL
• Indy 500
• Formula 1
• X-Games

Reality TV, there is quite a “stickiness” to these types of programs.
• Big Brother
• There are too many for me to get into

Comedy, because we all love a good laugh.
• Comedy Central
• Cartoons

Music, it is always nice to check out the latest and hottest titles.
• MTV

Film/Drama, I am unsure about this category as I believe many, like myself, will still go and buy or rent whichever movie they have been looking forward to for months.
• Sci Fi
• Classics
• Westerns News, because we all need our daily fix of news.
• CNN
• BBC World
• ESPN News

Science/History, educating and entertaining for all ages, and I personally love to spend a dark winter day watching these channels.
• Discovery Science
• Discovery History
• TopGear

Nature, educating for all ages and the quality of these types of programs just keep getting better and better.
• Animal Planet
• National Geographic

Food, programs about food have never been more popular than right now, they are entertaining to watch and very inspiring for those who like to cook, but don’t have a background in the food business. This genre has also been combined with travel programs with very good results.
• BBC Food
• The Food channel
• The Food Network

Travel, unfortunately I have to work and therefore can’t travel the world like a millionaire all year round, but I have spent many rainy days dreaming myself to a different place on earth watching these channels.
• Discovery Travel
• Travel Channel

Gaming, watching the poker tournaments has been increasingly more popular the last couple of years and is still attracting new watchers.
• Poker

Anyway, the above is merely my personal thoughts provoked by the promising outlook with regards to the Web TV experience Joost will give us Web TV Watchers in the future.
I also apologize for my English, it is not my native language, I am from Denmark and currently live and work in Germany. My best regards and all the best to all you Joosters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

Very interesting article, I too think it will be very exciting to see what Joost will bring us in the future, and I like your selection of programmes.


regards
Maria, Sweden

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Very good comments and interesting selections, very much in accordance with what would have been my personel selection.
We really can not waite to see this Web TV up and running.
Best regards --- Finn --France

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael
I was reading your article with great interest, and I agree with you - a PS3 version of Joost would be a big plus for the home entertainment systems. I can't wait :-)

Regards...
Keld
Copenhagen, Denmark

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Good article, I have many of the same thoughts and will for sure watch out for any news regarding Joost from now on. I agree with you that this could be what we have all be waiting for, a good web content and quality to watch on our big screens.

best of luck
Domenico Ricco

The Truth WareHouse

Technorati Search for: joost